My dog has a lump on the bottom of his stomach. i think when he was playing with another dog they accidentally scratch

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: my dog has a lump on the bottom of his stomach. i think when he was playing with another dog they accidentally scratch his nipple. i guess its irratted and its bigger now and it wont heal because he keeps scratching it and it keeps bleeding. what else could it be? and if its what i think then what should i do?
Answered by Dr. Henry in 9 mins 12 years ago
imglogo
Dr. Henry
12+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

HiCustomer

Welcome to JustAnswer, I hope that I can help. I am sorry to hear that your dog injured himself. A few things come to mind when I read your post;

-It could be a skin lump or tumor-Smoke is young but sometimes young dogs can get abnormal skin growths. It could be a benign skin growth(tumor) but if it is bothering him sometimes they need to be removed just the same

-Abscess-sometimes something that starts off as a small skin wound can develop into an abscess. These are essentially deep infections of the skin. They often require, deep cleaning, clipping of the hair and antibiotics to go away.

-Foreign object-it is not uncommon for dogs to get things stuck in their skin that show up as lumps that won't heal; these can range from; sticks, to metal, to porcupine quills and sometimes even insect larvae can burrow into the skin creating an irritating lump.

What you should do really depends on how long it has been there. If it has been present and unchanged and/or getting worse for more than 2-3 days I would schedule an appointment with your vet to get it looked at. If you have just noticed it and Smoke is normal otherwise I would clean it with a mild soap, try to prevent him from scratching it and give it 24-48 hours. If it shows no improvement in that amount of time I would then have your vet look at it.

Good luck. If I have been helpful, please click ACCEPT, if you have any additional concerns please post them here.

Thank you.

Dr. Henry

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Henry
logo
logo
logo
12+ years of experience
imglogo
Dr. Henry
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.