Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

How many times during a heat cycle should the dogs mate to

Customer Question
How many times during...
How many times during a heat cycle should the dogs mate to be sure and get puppies?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/8/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Scott, Veterinarian replied 7 years ago
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Hello there,

In theory it only takes one mating to result in pregnancy. The dogs should be kept together and allowed to breed as many times as the female allows to have the best chance of success. When the female won't let the male near her anymore, hey should be separated.
We are not able to keep them togather as my dog does not like other females right now and they have a female dog, and when they did mate we had to stay with them once they were hooked up to try and avoid them hurting each other when they moved. Will it work to let them mate once a day as long as she alows it?
Once a day is fine as long as she is still interested.
So they should produce puppies if we do this.
There is never a guarantee of pregnancy. A 5 year old Dane is considered middle aged at best and may not conceive due to age. If the male has never fathered a litter, there is no guarantee he is not sterile. A semen sample has to be evaluated to see if sperm counts are normal.
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian