How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr.Fiona Your Own Question
Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 6273
Experience:  Small animal medicine and surgery - 16 years experience in BC, California and Ontario
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr.Fiona is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Dog ate about 12 thin mint cookies and about a dozen of

This answer was rated:

My Dog ate about 12 thin mint cookies and about a dozen of the tagalong cookies (peanut butter cookies covered in chocolate) and 10 oreo cookies. All this in about a span of 12 hours. The thin mints and tagalongs happened about 5 hrs ago. He is a Samoyed, weighing about 50 lbs, around 5 yrs old. His general health is good. He's been sleeping, hasn't shown any sign of restlessness nor vomiting. What do you think I should do?

Hi there,

Welcome to Just Answer!

It sounds like your dog must have been very pleased with the cookie snacks that he helped himself to!

I would like to help you and your Samoyed with this question, but need a bit more information in order to better assist you.

How much does he weigh?

Do you still have the packaging - if so, can you tell me how many grams of fat would have been in the total of the 34 cookies he ate?

any diarrhea?


Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Wolf is weighing about 50 lbs, the thin mints is showing 8 g of fat per 4 cookies (24 g of fat), 9 g per 2 cookies (54 g of fat), im not sure about the Oreos. For the Girl Scout cookies 78 g of fat.

Let's guess that the Oreos will be something similar, and estimate about 40g of fat for them.

That would be roughly 200 grams of fat altogether....

I am working on your answer and will be back shortly.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I checked the nutritional facts on line and it stated for 2 cookies, 5 g of fat. so about 25 g of fat for the oreo, about 103 g of fat total?
Hello again,

Thanks for the update on the fat amount - that is not as bad as I originally thought, but still an awful lot of fat!

Just in case Wolf does something like this again, it may be useful to know that you can induce him to vomit at home. This is only helpful if he ate something within the previous 2 hours. Always check with a vet first as there are some situations in which you should NOT induce vomiting (sharp or caustic things).

However, in some situations , you can induce vomiting using 3% hydrogen peroxide at 2 tsp per 10lbs (a maximum of 3 tablespoons would be used in a dog Wolf's size). You can repeat after 10 minutes if there is no vomit.

Here is more about how:

Now, since it has been over 5 hours, you cannot induce vomiting at this point as the cookies will have left his stomach by now.

So, the good news is that the amount of chocolate in these cookies is far below any level that would be toxic to Wolf. There is very little real chocolate in a cookie, and since Wolf is a 50lb dog, what there is in these cookies would cause him no harm.

Here is more about chocolate toxicity:

Now, unfortunately, he did eat a large amount of fat. And that concerns me far more than the chocolate. Large amounts of fat can trigger pancreatitis.

Pancreatitis is an inflammation of the pancreas.

It can be caused by a number of things, such as:

- certain medications,

- infections (bacteria can climb up into the pancreas from the intestines),

- high fat meals,

- high amounts of calcium in the blood,

- trauma and

- shock (for example it can happen after a dog is hit by a car).

Some dogs are more prone to pancreatitis than other dogs with small dogs being more susceptible. Wolf has his size in his favour.

Typically, the symptoms of pancreatitis are abdominal pain, fever, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy and a very painful belly.

These symptoms start within 2 to 3 days of eating a high fat meal - not immediately. So, the fact that he seems fine right now does not unfortunately mean he will be fine in the next couple of days.

Bloodwork that confirms pancreatitis shows very high levels of amylase and lipase. These are 2 enzymes that the pancreas makes and delivers to the intestines to help digest food. With high fat meals, the pancreas has to work extra-hard to make these, and this can cause it to actually start digesting itself. This is very painful!

Generally, pancreatitis is treated aggressively with intravenous fluids, intravenous antibiotics, pain killers and resting the intestinal tract.

This last means that NO food is given by mouth until symptoms start to resolve.

Then, once the pancreatitis is starting to resolve, we usually start the patient with just water and see if that stays down. If there is no vomiting or abdominal pain, we then start *very* small meals of an easy to digest, low fat food and monitor closely.

For long-term management, patients who are prone to pancreatitis are kept on a low fat diet to minimize chances of a flare-up. Antibiotics are continued for 1-2 weeks, as well as other medications as needed (such as anti-nausea medications).

I will give you some links to more information:

So, with Wolf, I would monitor him very closely for any signs of pancreatitis (vomiting, loss of appetite, painful belly) and if these occur, I would very strongly recommend that you see immediate veterinary care – even if this means an emergency clinic.

Now, in terms of what you can do at home now to help Wolf, I would make the following suggestions to my clients:

1. WITH-HOLD FOOD for the next 24 hours. This gives the intestines a chance to rest and heal.

2. When he is fasting, he can have lots of clear fluids.

So, water is fine, but if he keeps that down for 2 hours, he can then have pedialyte, Gatorade, apple juice diluted 50:50 with water, or chicken or beef broth diluted 50:50 with water. Give the fluids in small amounts frequently. For a dog this size that means about 1 cup an hour.

3. After 24 hours without vomiting, you can start your dog back on a bland diet.

For patients that I see, I recommend a mixture of 75% cooked white rice, and 25% low fat protein. For the protein you could use extra lean ground beef, boiled with the fat scooped off, or chicken breast boiled with fat scooped off or even scrambled egg cooked without fat in the microwave. Feed small frequent meals. For a dog this size, I would suggest 1/2 cup every 3 to 4 hours.

4. After 1-2 days on the rice mix, you would gradually change your dog back to the normal dog food. So, on day 3, give the rice mixture, but bigger meals, spaced further apart. On day 4, mix a little tiny bit of the normal food in there, and decrease the frequency so it is down to 3 meals or so. And so on.

5. Keep your dog as quiet as possible - just out to relieve himself and back in.

6. When treating for gastroenteritis and pancreatitis, for patients that I see, I usually have them on something to block stomach acid production. The drug I usually reach for in dogs is ranitidine, which is Zantac. You can buy it at your local pharmacy. Legally, I cannot prescribe medications for a dog that I have not seen!

Here is more about ranitidine, including dose:

If he were my patient, I would start him right away on Zantac, and encourage him to drink.

7. Another thing which I suggest to patients who are recovering from pancreatitis is that they get some “good bacteria” back into their systems. An easy way to do this is by using a product called Culturelle. It comes as a capsule, and for a dog this size, if he were my patient, I would give him 1 - 2 capsules daily. It can be mixed in with some water and given by syringe. Here is more:

If Wolf starts to vomit, develops blood in the stool, is lethargic or shows signs of abdominal pain, please contact a veterinarian promptly.


I hope that this helps you to help your dog!

If this has been helpful, please "Accept" my answer and provide feedback.

If you need more information, just click on reply and I will try to provide it!

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would strongly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.



Dr.Fiona and other Dog Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for all of your information.
you are very welcome!

I hope Wolf has nothing more than an upset stomach, but it is better if you know what to look for!

Best wishes,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Dr. Fiona,

FYI, Wolf seems fine now. I didn't feed him for 24 hrs and started off with small amounts of broth, rice, eggs, and a little dog food. He's been taking in liquids with no problems since Saturday. No vomiting, just an upset stomach. His appetite is good, I think his wondering why I was limiting his food. Thank you again so much and it is good to know what to look for.


Aloha from Marie (Customer)

Aloha Marie,

Thanks so much for the update! PHEW! Glad to hear that Wolf is doing so well!

You have made my morning with this good news - thank you for taking the time to udpate me! :-)

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Of course! Aloha and thank you again for all of your info and time to help us.



You are SO welcome! :-)

Aloha! Fiona