Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery.
19741892

My Chihuahua has a sore near her anus. It started out as a

My Chihuahua has a sore near her anus. It started out as a swollen area on Thursday. By Friday evening it had cracked open, and now it is an open area about 1 cm in diameter. Should I take her to an emergency vet or can it wait til Monday?
Hello there,

Is the sore on either side of the anus?

Is there discharge coming from it?

Is the dog painful?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is on one side. There is some clear discharge. She has good energy level but is keeping her tail down over it most of the time and licking more frequently than usual.
You are likely seeing a ruptured anal gland. They get infected, can't drain and rupture through the skin. If the dog is not in pain it is not an emergency, but the dog will need oral medication for several days to treat it. If your vet clinic is open tomorrow, I would have her examined. If she becomes painful, she should be checked over before Monday. Keep cleaning the area with hydrogen peroxide or betadine solution 2-3 times a day until she is examined.