Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

my dog has bad breath and licks his mouth/lips constantly,

Customer Question
is this a yeast infection...
my dog has bad breath and licks his mouth/lips constantly, is this a yeast infection or acid reflux?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/7/2010
Dog Veterinarian: CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist replied 7 years ago
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist

Thank you for your post!

Although I would suppose acid reflux can cause this - my top differential would be dental disease (tooth disease)

Having your veterinarian evaluate the teeth and if this is the problem - considering a dental cleaning as well as antibiotics would likely be the recommendation.

_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.

His teeth are regularly brushed and he has had occasional vomitting (only bile)and his gums have a brownish discoloration.
In general I would say that the most common causes for bad breath typically include:

- Dental disease which has led to bad breath

- Systemic disease such as kidney disease and build up of toxins

- Endocrine disease - such as diabetes which can also change the odor of the mouth.

Going back to topic 1 - dental disease - even if the teeth look good - just like us when we wake up in the morning - it is not that the teeth look terrible - but the buildup of bacteria in the mouth lead to the odor and bad breath...which is why we are advised to brush our teeth as often as we do.

This is why for me - I would first recommend seeing your veterinarian to examine the mouth.

I hope this information helps!

CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist