Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is getting big dark spots on his side and on his hip.

Customer Question
His hair has come off...
My dog is getting big dark spots on his side and on his hip. His hair has come off and he keeps bitting and scratching on it. They kind of look like big moles and have gotten big in time.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/7/2010
Dog Veterinarian: CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist replied 7 years ago
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Thank you for your post!

Is he on flea/tick prevention?

Have you used any at home medications?

Any other dogs in the house? Similar signs?

-

He is not on flea/tick prevention other then the shampoo i use. I have never found a tick on him.

He has never used at home medications.

No other dogs live at my home but next door has one but they can't contact each other because of a gate.

Thank you for your reply!

Depending on what tests have been done before, in a case such as this with the itching and fur loss - to be thorough, infectious causes we think about with skin disease would include:
- Bacterial skin infection
- Fleas
- Mites (Demodectic Mange or Sarcoptic Mange)
- Fungal infections

A skin scraping by your veterinarian can be very helpful!

Another possible cause would be food allergies - depending on what you used before, potentially changing the diet would be something to discuss with your veterinarian as dogs can have allergies to their food - specifically the protein in the food. In these cases - the protein should then be changed. There are several hypoallergenic diets to consider such as Hill's Z/D or Purina H/A (hydrolyzed diets) as well as novel protein diets such as with the IVD brand.

Other options would be the use of special shampoo formulas, such as an oatmeal shampoo or other soothing shampoos.
http://www.1800petmeds.com/Oatmeal+++Aloe+Vera+Shampoo-prod10380.html
http://www.1800petmeds.com/Epi+Soothe+Shampoo-prod10483.html

Supplements such as Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids may also help:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=20677
http://www.1800petmeds.com/Omega+3-cat60014.html

These links may also help in understanding skin disease, supplements, and diets for dogs:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=648

http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/fa.html
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2&aid=666

You can also consider an antihistamine at home such as Benadryl!. The dose for over the counter Benadryl is 1mg for every 1 pound of body weight - for example a 25 pound dog should receive 25 mg every 8 to 12 hours. Please be certain it is the product consisting of only Diphenhydramine and DOES NOT CONTAIN ANY OTHER INGREDIENTS SUCH AS A DECONGESTANT.

With that said, if the signs persist, the other option for your would be to ask your veterinarian about a referral to a specialist - a board certified dermatologist if the signs are this severe.

This link (HERE) may also help!

I hope this information is helpful.
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist