Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

the circulation to my dogs paw was cut off for 24 hours it

Customer Question
is now swollen what can...
the circulation to my dogs paw was cut off for 24 hours it is now swollen what can i do to help relieve the pressure
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/6/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Thanks for the questionCustomer
.

I will be very pleased to try and answer your question but to enable me to do so with accuracy I need to know a little bit more information, so first can you tell me :

1. How did this happen?

This is just a information request for which you have not been charged, I am online at present. I will answer your question shortly after receiving your reply.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
she has a broken toe and when i replaced the bandages yesterday i accidently wraped it too tightly when i checked the bandage today i noticed the badage was even tighter so i removed it and noticed an extreme amount of swelling
Thanks for the quick reply.

This is something you see now and again particularly when you are using modern bandages such as vet wrap. While I cannot diagnose how bad this is over the internet I can tell you the following :

1. If the bandage was too tight and left on for a number of hours there is always the possibility that the circulation bad badly cut off and tissue death and necrosis has occurred, all you can do is to wait a few days and see what happens. If this is the case there is nothing you can do on your own and you should get your vet involved as antibiotics or other drugs may be needed.

2. In the meantime immerse the affected foot in warm water and gently massage it for five minutes every hour in an attempt to get some circulation going again. Do not replace the bandage and have your vet take a look at the next opportunity.

I am sorry I cannot suggest any home remedy here as there is such a range of diagnosis, accordingly my advice is that you should have your vet check your dog out.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
what antibiotics may be needed and are they available over the counter? is it possible to upload some photos of the paw to you and would that help make a better diagnosis? should i also wait to bandage the paw until the swelling goes down?
Hello again,

Please upload the photos and I will have a look, use the tree icon on the top of the text entry box.

Regards,

Scott
i am unable to upload the pictures they are to large of a file but the bottom of the paw seems to be bloody
Hello again,

No problem about the photos ...

1. If the situation warranted it I would consider a broad acting antibiotic such as Clavamox. However antibiotics are prescription drugs and will not usually be available over the counter. The usual way to get them would be via a vet's visit but this would be no bad thing in your case.

2. If the bandage was too tight and necrosis has occurred then the tissue may turn a dark colour and you will notice a bad smell, these signs can take two or three days to develop. If in the affected area the skin is pink and healthy looking despite being swollen then this would be a good sign.

Good luck,

Scott
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian