Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

MY DOG SEEMS CONFUSED & IS PANTING OFF & ON. THOUGHT IT MIGHT

Customer Question
BE BLOOD SUGAR BUT NETROCAL...
MY DOG SEEMS CONFUSED & IS PANTING OFF & ON. THOUGHT IT MIGHT BE BLOOD SUGAR BUT NETROCAL DOES NOT SEEM TO HELP & SHE IS EATING FINE
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/1/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Jay Mawhinney, Veterinarian replied 7 years ago
Dr. Jay Mawhinney
Dr. Jay Mawhinney, Veterinarian

Hi

Unless she were on insulin for diabetes, it is unlikely to be low blood sugar. A pancreatic tumor (most common cause for hypoglycemia or low blood sugar in an adult dog outside of an insulin drug overdose) would cause seizures and collapse usually. The disorientation(confusion) could be a number of things from a mold toxicity from digging something up(usually along with muscle tremors), middle ear infection and something toxic like kidney or liver failure etc. The fact that she is eating is good and there may be no immediate danger. You are looking at her and must decide if she is depressed or getting worse. If so, go to your nearest emergency veterinarian tonight for an exam and complete workup. If she is ok then go to your regular veterinarian tomorrow for and exam and basic profile(urinalysis, radiographs and blood profile.) Hope this helps a little.

Dr. Jay Mawhinney

she is an inside dog & never eats anything but whats in her bowl. she does not dig or chew anything. i did have her teeth cleaned 2 weeks ago. she has had low blood sugar before and will vomit when this happens but this is different. i will take her in tomorrow as she seems to be the same 7 not declining.

Great! It sounds like you can wait until morning. Do have a good workup if possible. Things like this can be based in the heart and lungs, middle ear, or abdominal organs.

Dr. Jay Mawhinney

Dr. Jay Mawhinney
Dr. Jay Mawhinney
Dr. Jay Mawhinney, Veterinarian