Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

my dog is continuously vomiting....what should I do

?...
my dog is continuously vomiting....what should I do ?
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/13/2010
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Hello there,

Is the dog able to drink and keep water down?

How long has this been going on?

Did the dog get into anything you know of? Garbage, table scraps?

What breed of dog?

Hello Dr. Scott.

He took a sip of water and vomited again...

30 minutes or so

not aware of anything he picked up....but I am guilty of feeding him tabel scraps pretty regularly

he is a shephard/chow mix

Anything with fat or salt he got into can easily cause pancreatitis and vomiting. If he chewed anything like a stick or a bone there could be an obstruction. If water does not stay down the stomach is either very upset or is obstructed. Pepcid AC can be used at 5 mg per 20 pounds body weight every 24 hours to settle the stomach. Pepto Bismal can be used at 1 tablespoon per 20 pounds body weight every 8 hours as needed to coat the stomach. If the medicine stays down an hour, small amounts of water can be offered. If that stays down an hour, small amounts of boiled chicken and rice can be offered as a bland diet until the problem resolves. If the medicine does not stay down, the stomach should be radiographed to rule out obstruction and blood tests are needed to rule out pancreatitis.
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian

Thank you Doctor. This is very helpful. Unfortunately, he is still vomiting every few minutes and my children are very upset.

Do you think I should take him to an emergency vet service tonight, or is it OK to wait until tomorrow morning to take him to his regular doctor?

Thanks very much....

If you can't get any medicine down or he continues to vomit after you take water away, an ER visit would be warranted.
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian