Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

cane corso: eye infection..cant keep his left eye open...cherry eye

my 4month old cane corso...
my 4month old cane corso looks like he has a eye infection and can't keep his left eye open.. what can i do? i hope is not a cherry eye.. is not popping out
2/6/2010
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Thanks for the questionCustomer

While I cannot diagnose this over the internet I can tell you the following :

1. From your description the most likely thing that this would be would be an eye infection { conjunctivitis } if so this is usually a minor condition however other more serious diagnosis such as eye ulcers is certainly possible as well.

2. The normal treatment for conjunctivitis would be a course of antibiotic eye drops and these are usually quickly effective.

I am sorry I cannot suggest any home remedy here as most small animal vets will have seen eye problems which have gone wrong in a spectacular and irretrievable fashion following a wrong diagnosis or delay in treatment so you should play safe. Another factor is that if this is indeed a conjunctivitis the appropriate eye drops are usually prescription drugs which you will not be able to get over the counter. My advice to you therefor has to be to have a vet check your dog over as soon as possible.

In the meantime you would do no harm by gently flushing out your dog's eyes with luke warm water.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
so what are the chances that it could be cherry eye, does the cherry eye pop out right away or does it slowly pop out.
Hello again,

Cherry eye does occur in your breed but it would pop out suddenly and there would usually be very little doubt, here is a photo of a typical cherry eye :

Does it look anything like this image?

graphic
View Full Image

Regards,

Scott
no it doesn't.. but you can see a lot of his inner eye lid and some discharge so i thought it was a cherry eye in progress. i forgot to mention he was at a day care with other dogs today since a was outta town maybe he cought it there?
Hello again,

From what you have told me I think this will be unlikely to be a cherry eye, they tend to be an all or nothing situation. It sounds more like an eye infection, if so it could have been caught from anywhere ...

Regards,

Scott
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian