Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Can you give a dog an antacid If yes how much is enough for

Customer Question
Can you give a dog...
Can you give a dog an antacid? If yes how much is enough for a 78 lb bassett hound senior?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/1/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 years ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Yes you can give Pepcid (Famotidine) to dogs. The dose is 0.25 mg/lb every 12-24 hours. That would be 20 mg or 2 of the 10 mg tabs 1-2 times daily in this dog.

If there is any bloating or signs of GDV, then antacids do not help- this is a surgical emergency that must be corrected within a few hours of signs developing or it's fatal.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian