Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery.
19741892

My dog ate plaster and is not eating and vomiting what should

My dog ate plaster and is not eating and vomiting what should i do
Hello there,

When was the plaster ingested?

Is the dog drinking water and keep it down?

What does the dog weigh?

How much was ingested?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Schipperke is 18lbs. Dont know if dog is keeping water down yet. Plaster was ingested yesterday at about 5:00pm ET. I do not know how much was ingested probably domino sized and maybe had lead paint. House was built in 1950s.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is there anything needed so i can get your advice
If lead was ingested it can cause severe anemia in a small dog. The gums will get very pale or white if that occurs. The plaster itself is not digestible. If large pieces were ingested, they could cause an obstruction. It water stays down, Pepcid AC can be used at 5 mg per 20 pounds body weight every 24 hours to settle the stomach. Pepto Bismal can be used at 1 tablespoon per 20 pounds body weight every 8 hours to coat the stomach. A bland diet of boiled chicken and rice, no bones, can be offered in small meals. If the medicine does not stay down or the vomiting continues, the stomach needs to be radiographed to rule out obstruction.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My dog is black with black gums so it is hard for me to tell if she has pale gums. Her tongue is pink. What should I do?
The inside of the lower eyelids can also be checked if they are not black. The tongue is not a good indicator. If you are unsure, have the dog examined if the medication does not stop the vomiting or the dog seems weak.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I force fed her water in a syringe. About how long will it take to see if she would vomit it?
The water should stay down for longer than 20 minutes to clear the stomach.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Does that mean that there could be no obstruction if she kept water down?
If the water stays down there may not be an obstruction. I would get medicine to coat the stomach and offer a small meal of chicken and rice after the medicine has stayed down an hour.