Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

How much Ivomec do I give my puppy. He weighs around 20 pounds

Customer Question

How much Ivomec do I give my puppy. He weighs around 20 pounds and does it
do anything for hertworm prevention. It is the regular kind 1% solution injectible.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer

Have you used oral Ivomec before for heart worm prevention? Have you talked to your vet about using products they carry for heart worm prevention?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't want to particularly use it as a heartworm preventitive. I was just wondering if the
regular 1% injectible solution has anything in it for the heartworm. I am using it because
my puppy has skin parasites and is scratching like crasy and making scabs. My other
question would be how much to give a almost 20 pound puppy.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 7 years ago.

Ok. Thanks for helping to clarify things. IN this situation, your little one most likely either has scabies or demodex. I would really encourage having him seen by your vet to make sure the correct diagnosis is made. The reason for this is that that determines the best course and duration of therapy. Also it determines how we can determine if the situation is cured. The 1% injectable ivermectin has ivermectin in it and it is the same drug used in heart guard, the oral heart worm prevention. So, yes, it has heart worm preventative effects to it.

But, the difficult thing here is safety for that little of a dog. In all reality, this drug can be easily overdosed due to its concentration and the size of your little one.

Here is a link on scabies.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=616

Here is a link on demodex.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=630

Ivermectin is considered off lable as far as its use for both of these in dogs.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Please just answer my question. How much Ivomec would I give an almost 20 pound
puppy and how often. 1% injectible regular solution
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 7 years ago.
This is a situation, I can't give you a dose. Legally, a client/vet/pet relationship must be established for me to be able to do this. I wouldn't feel comfortable giving a dose and frequency not knowing that a correct diagnosis has been made. I wouldn't want to put your new little one at risk for making things possibly worse. I'm sorry. This is something where you need to get him to a vet for them to examin him and to make a diagnosis to then appropriately start up treatment. My belief is above all else - do no harm. And I'm not going to put him at risk for an assumption of a disease.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
sorry but your reply in no way has answered my question and was not helpful. therefore, I do
not accept it for payment.