Dr. Jenn
Dr. Jenn, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal medicine since 2004, also involved in working with rescue groups.
23926829

found a lump above my dogs shoulder blade and it seems to be

found a lump above my dogs shoulder blade and it seems to be getting bigger. he is a 2 year old staffordshire bull terrier. appetite is normal as well as playtime. what could this be? debra
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jenn replied 7 years ago.

Hi there

He is a young dog so his chances of a cancerous lump are low, possible but low. It would be a good idea to have this lump tested by a vet to make sure this is nothing we have to worry about. Your vet can get a sample using a needle. Also, if the lump is continuing to grow the lump might need to be removed before it gets any bigger. If the lump is soft and moveable it could be a fatty tumor which is benign, a cyst, or even an abscess. If the mass is firm it could be something more serious. The sooner he is seen the better. Good luck Dr. Jenn

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
If it firm what else are the posibilities?
Expert:  Dr. Jenn replied 7 years ago.
Firm--it could be a sebaceous cyst-which is also benign, scar tissue, histiocytoma (these are red in appearance), and even though he is young a cancerous mass is still possible. I would have it tested to be sure it is not something that needs to be removed before it spreads. Having the mass tested is the only way to get a diagnosis--we can not say for sure what it is just by looking at it.