Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Someone said they cured their itchy dog with Neutrogena TGel

Customer Question
shampoo. Can I use...
Someone said they cured their itchy dog with Neutrogena TGel shampoo. Can I use it on my itchy dog?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/17/2009
Dog Veterinarian: VetInternist, Board Certified Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
VetInternist
VetInternist, Board Certified Veterinarian
There are many types of shampoos that can be beneficial for itchy dogs, but they are specially pH balanced for dog skin. TGel and other shampoos made for people aren't appropriate for dog skin because the pH is wrong. You may cause more itching or other problems for your dog.

Some of the more common causes for itchy skin include flea allergies, food allergies and various types of infections. Your dog may not have a flea infestation and may still be reacting to occasional bites since there are fleas in the environment.

I would recommend a few skin tests at your veterinarian to see if we can determine the underlying cause of the itchiness. If something can't be found, referral to a Veterinary Dermatologist would be a good idea.

Let me know if you have any other questions,

Dr. Shadwick
VetInternist
What is the proper pH balance for a dog shampoo? Is this information available on a label?
I don't know the actual pH for a dog, but it is less acidic than human skin. A dermatologist may be able to tell you the exact number. Unfortunately the label won't help you. A prescription dog shampoo will be properly formulated. Shampoos designed for people are generally not appropriate.

Dr. Shadwick
VetInternist
VetInternist