Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dogs nose looks like its rotting away

Customer Question
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/14/2009
Dog Veterinarian: Dr John, Veterinarian replied 7 years ago
Dr John
Dr John, Veterinarian
Is he licking it alot?

Are his eyes running and watery?

How long has this been going on?

Have you seen a vet about this yet?

drjohn

He isn't licking alot

eyes are not running and watery

about 4-5 months

no

It initially looked like he was scratched by a cat. We are now co-habitating with 4 cats.

I would put an antibiotic on and it looked better. Then it would get worse. I would then try bag balm that to would inprove the situatioon for a while then it stopped working. I don't kinow if he's putting his nose into somethong "cat" that may be causing this reaction or not. I hope you can help.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX you must stop putting anything on it.

Whether you know it, see it or not his tongue could be creating this and what may have started as a scratch or even a benign bug bite could now be a self created ulcer and dermatitis...skin infection.

Next thing...when this happens to a nose there are several things that would concern me and they will all require a veterinary exam and possible lab testing to confirm and rule-in or out the correct diagnosis.

* Auto-immune diseases like Pemphigus, Lupus
* Fungal infections
*Sun burn or irritation
* plastic or materials that he is rubbing his nose on. Contact dermatitis
and
* Cancer

I would not give this very long...but instead would suggest you see a vet as soon as possible.

Best of health and success, Drjohn
Dr John
Dr John, Veterinarian
Dr John
Dr John
Dr John, Veterinarian