Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My Dog Ate Chocolate Coins. What Should I Do?

Customer Question
My dogs just ate about...

My dogs just ate about 15 each "chocolate coins" including some metal type wrappers.

Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/10/2009
Dog Veterinarian: Doctor W, Veterinarian replied 7 years ago
Doctor W
Doctor W, Veterinarian

Thank you for submitting your question to Just Answer

Not to worry. There is not enough chocolate in mild chocolate to cause toxicity in these dogs (especially with such a small quantity of milk chocolate). Also, the aluminium foil is not likely to cause a foreign body reaction.

I've seen dogs that have done this dozens of times and never had a serious problem. It is possible that they might have some vomiting (but I doubt it) or diarrhea (more likely). Either of these should be self limiting. But, if the diarrhea persists then you should with hold food for 24 hours, then feed a bland diet (boiled hamburg or chicken with fat removed mixed with equal amounts of boiled rice) for a few days, then gradually, add regular food back into diet.

If vomiting persists, especially with lack of appetite, then a trip to the vet is essential in the very unlikely case that an intestinal blockage has occurred.

If you need more clarification, please click on Reply, and I will try to give you more assistance.

Doctor W
Doctor W, Veterinarian
Doctor W
Doctor W
Doctor W, Veterinarian