Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is old and is dieing what can I give him so he can die

Customer Question
quietlyi n his sleep so...
My dog is old and is dieing what can I give him so he can die quietlyi n his sleep so he will not continue to suffer.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/10/2009
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 years ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

There is nothing that you can give him to allow him to die peacefully. The only way to do this is with an approved euthanasia solution. Any other options will cause further pain/ suffering and likely will not lead to a peaceful death.

Get him to a vet to have the euthanasia solution administered. This is a very fast and pain free injection that allows him to die peacefully.

I hope this helps and I'm sorry you're in this situation.
This doesn't help and it adds to the problem of expenses. So you do not have a answer for me.
Dog Veterinarian: Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 years ago
Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian

I am sorry that it is such a difficult situation that has brought you to Just Answer.

You so obviously love your old dog and want to do the right thing for him, and let him go peacefully from this world without stressing him.

I completely understand your desire to end his suffering without stressing him in any way. I know that taking him in to see your vet is not what you want or are able to do.

If there were any safe and humane way for you to put him to sleep at home, we would certainly tell you. There just isn't. Sleeping pills will not do it. It will likely put him into liver failure as it is the liver that metabolizes it. This will simply lead to him being very tired, and having nausea, vomiting and loss of appetite.

When a vet euthanizes an animal, we use an anesthetic agent, but give a massive overdose. It is very quick. From the time the injection of the drug starts until the moment where there is no more heartbeat, it is less than a minute.

These drugs are very tightly regulated, and vets have to keep careful logbooks of every 1/10th of a milliliter of drug used, because of the tremendous potential for misuse if they fell into the wrong hands.

So, unfortunately, euthanasia drugs are not available for you, and there really is not another humane way to gently let your old boy go.

I do, however, have a couple of suggestions for you to help you with this painful decision.

1. You could ask your vet to dispense a sedative.

You could give this at home, and then take your old boy in to the vet once he was sleepy, so he did not get stressed.

2. You could phone your vet to ask if they do house-calls.

Many vets provide this service to help people in exactly your situation.

3. You could check your yellow pages to look for a house call vet.

Most larger cities have several house-call vets who are very practiced at helping people in your situation.

I do hope that these ideas help you to help Mikee. It's so obvious that you care about him and don't want him to suffer.

4. Most animal control agencies provide very low cost euthanasia. You could phone the agency in your area to see what is available.

I can give you some suggestions for where to turn for financial aid.

I'd start with the local animal shelters to see if they know of any low cost or subsidized vet care in your area.

And this site has a very comprehensive list of financial resources:

http://www.speakingforspot.com/helppayingforveterinarycare.html

Of these, the most reliable one in terms of providing assistance is www.carecredit.com. I have heard very good reports about them!

I'm sorry that none of us are going to be able to give you the information you want - there simply is NO way to humanely euthanize at home.

My thoughts are with you at this difficult time...

Fiona

Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian