Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My Dog Has A Yellow Discharge From His Penis

Customer Question
My dog has a yellowish...
My dog has a yellowish discharge coming out from his penis area. His penis is not extended. I have felt down and toward the base of his penis area is more firm than normal. If it is a bladder or kidney infection is there a treatment I can start at home?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/1/2009
Dog Veterinarian: CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist replied 8 years ago
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist

Has there been any straining to urinate or abnormal colored urine?

I haven't noticed his urine being another color since he normally goes outside, but I can tell you that I watched him (while waiting at the door to let him back in) this morning and it seemed to take a while for him to finish. At the time I just thought that it was because it was morning and he had not been out since late the night before.

It is not uncommon for there to be a very small amount of discharge from the penis, or more commonly, seen at the prepuce (sheath)

If there is significant discharge, or it is more yellow or green (than clear), has a mal-odor, or your dog seems excessively irritated, it may be caused by a urinary tract infection or even an infection or inflammation of the glans of the penis - commonly called a balanoposthitis.

Aside from a normal UTI - a balanoposthitis is an inflammatory condition of the glans penis and prepuce - commonly caused by a bacterial infection.

When there are signs such as above, we recommend making an appointment with your veterinarian for evaluation.

At times a urine sample is taken and the discharge can be evaluated under the microscope to look for bacteria.

If that is the case, then a course of antibiotics will be prescribed.

I hope this helps!

CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist