How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKVETJH Your Own Question
UKVETJH, Veterinary Surgeon
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 1022
Experience:  BVet Med MRCVS since 2004. Certificate in Veterinary Acupuncture
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
UKVETJH is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Dog Ate Fireworks. What Should I Do?

Resolved Question:

My 55 pound boxer dog ate a bunch of fireworks which obviously contain gun powder. There is no way to tell exactly how much gun powder she digested. Three hours later, she seems OK. But she's sleeping now.


Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  UKVETJH replied 7 years ago.

Hi there,

I have not seen a dog with gunpowder ingestion myself but have been looking at some literature for you on the subject. It appears that the nitrates in the powder can lead to blood changes and effective anaemia, but if the gunpowder is in a reasonably high quantity. The gunpowder formulation itself may be irritant to the inner walls of the stomach and intestines and may cause vomiting and diarrhea in your dog as a minimum.

If you do not know how much has been eaten, then taking her to the vet would be your best option, as you can then be sure that she can have all the supportive therapy she needs if there is potential toxicity. Three hours is a little too late to achieve much by inducing vomiting so they may want to flush the stomach, provide fluid support and check the blood too. Signs of toxicity can still develop after these three hours.

If the vet is not an option, then keep a very close eye on her to check for any signs of severe vomiting, diarrhea, weakness/wobbliness and trembling as these can be signs of toxicity. Feed something bulky and bland now such as some bread to try to help the gunpowder to pass through the guts and offer plenty of water to drink. Do not be surprised if diarrhea develops. If it is mild, then you can use bland food such as chicken in small and frequent meals. However, if this is persistent or she seems poorly at all, please, please go to the vet. The prevention of toxicity is much better than treating the signs after they have developed.

I have enclosed a link to a good webpage to give you a little more information:

I hope this helps,


UKVETJH and 2 other Dog Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you