Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My Dog Ate Fireworks. What Should I Do?

Customer Question
My 55 pound boxer dog...

My 55 pound boxer dog ate a bunch of fireworks which obviously contain gun powder. There is no way to tell exactly how much gun powder she digested. Three hours later, she seems OK. But she's sleeping now.

Paul

Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/29/2009
Dog Veterinarian: UKVETJH, Veterinary Surgeon replied 8 years ago
UKVETJH
UKVETJH, Veterinary Surgeon

Hi there,

I have not seen a dog with gunpowder ingestion myself but have been looking at some literature for you on the subject. It appears that the nitrates in the powder can lead to blood changes and effective anaemia, but if the gunpowder is in a reasonably high quantity. The gunpowder formulation itself may be irritant to the inner walls of the stomach and intestines and may cause vomiting and diarrhea in your dog as a minimum.

If you do not know how much has been eaten, then taking her to the vet would be your best option, as you can then be sure that she can have all the supportive therapy she needs if there is potential toxicity. Three hours is a little too late to achieve much by inducing vomiting so they may want to flush the stomach, provide fluid support and check the blood too. Signs of toxicity can still develop after these three hours.

If the vet is not an option, then keep a very close eye on her to check for any signs of severe vomiting, diarrhea, weakness/wobbliness and trembling as these can be signs of toxicity. Feed something bulky and bland now such as some bread to try to help the gunpowder to pass through the guts and offer plenty of water to drink. Do not be surprised if diarrhea develops. If it is mild, then you can use bland food such as chicken in small and frequent meals. However, if this is persistent or she seems poorly at all, please, please go to the vet. The prevention of toxicity is much better than treating the signs after they have developed.

I have enclosed a link to a good webpage to give you a little more information:

http://drpollen.blogspot.com/2007/03/gunpowder-and-dogs-firecrackers-and.html

I hope this helps,

Jen

UKVETJH
UKVETJH, Veterinary Surgeon
UKVETJH
UKVETJH
UKVETJH, Veterinary Surgeon