Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

my dog is restless, panting,shaking and licking his feet. What

Customer Question
could be wrong?...
my dog is restless, panting,shaking and licking his feet. What could be wrong?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/24/2009
Dog Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

It sounds like his feet may be giving him some discomfort. Have you examined them to see if they look abnormal at all. Is he itchy or scratching anywhere else on his body?

Is he on any medications?

Could he possibley have walked through something that is bothering him?

Thanks and I will await your answers.

no hes not scratching or itching anywhere else ihaven't checked his feet. he sometimes has a seizure where he loses control of his bowels

I would check his feet and if there is any sign of irritation, I would try to rinse his feet off.

If he has a history of seizures, it could be a partial or focal seizure which is only affecting a portion of his brain and not the full grand mal type seizure.

How long has this been going on?

no hes not scratching or itching anywhere else ihaven't checked his feet. he sometimes has a seizure where he loses control of his bowels when i came home from work he seemed ou t of sorts around5 hes had seizures for about 2or 3 years maybe only having 1 or 2 a year

I'm sorry, we may not be on the same time zone, so I want to clarify. This has been going on since you came home from work? Has that been at least a few hours? It is not typical for any seizure type activity to be going on for an extended period like that.
it was 5 pm eastern standard time hes not on any medication i guess its possible he walked through something hes outside all day

I am not sure, based on your description of signs, what is causing his distress. I have seen dogs who are uncomfortable from a dermatologic issue pant and tremble. The licking of the feet makes me think something there is irritating him. Although, focal seizures could present with various localizing signs. The fact that it has been going on for hours makes seizures less likely. I have also seen dogs in pain, like from sore hips or legs, tremble and pant. The licking of his feet may be unrelated.

I would not recommend giving him any over the counter medication tonight since we don't know what is causing this. If he seems to be that uncomfortable, it may be worthwhile having him examined tonight at an emergency clinic if that type of service is available. If you can get him comfortable, I would definitely have him examined by your vet tomorrow.

Good luck with him and please let me know if you have any further questions.

petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian