Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog ate part of a deer carcass yesterday. Threw up last

My dog ate part of...
My dog ate part of a deer carcass yesterday. Threw up last night for about an hour. I gave her 1 pepto bismol tablet. She stoppped throwing up and seem normal except for loud gut sounds. Her temperture is 101.3. I won't feed her and she's not drinking more water than normal. Thank you.
11/21/2009
Dr. Lee
Dr. Lee, Dog Veterinarian

Hi. I'm Dr. Lee and will do my best to help.

Is she acting normal now?
Is she still drinking water and keeping it down?

Any diarrhea or coughing?

Does she still have an appetite now?

Thanks.

I'm not sure what the question is?

Is she still acting normal or is she lethargic?

Can she still drink water like normal and not throw it up?

Does she have any diarrhea?

Does she have any coughing?

Does she still want to eat?

Thanks.

She is acting normal except for gut sounds.
She has not thrown up since last nite.
No diarrhea or coughing.
I haven't offered her food since I thought that was advisable after her vomiting last nite.
I just gave her a little dog biscuit and she ate it.
Don't know about drinking water since it is available all the time.
She is a 50 lb. australian shepherd.
Thank you.
Irene

Thanks for the info.

Since she is doing fine with just the increas gut sounds, she will most likely have some diarrhea in the near future. The temperature of 101.3 is normal. As long as she is acting normal, eating and drinking, there shouldn't be any concerns. I would, however, suggest to feed her some homemade ground beef and rice for a few days in case she develops diarrhea. You can also continue pepto-bismol for one more day. But again, with her acting normal, there is no concerns right now. Just continue to monitor her for any signs of lethargy, not eating, and not drinking. If that occurs, she will have to go to your veterinarian for x-rays.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks.

Dr. Lee
Dr. Lee, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Lee
Dr. Lee
Dr. Lee, Dog Veterinarian