Dog Veterinary

my 7 year old boxer bitch has cancer of the lymphatic system…

Customer Question
my 7 year old boxer...
my 7 year old boxer bitch has cancer of the lymphatic system my vet has prescribed 5mg prednisolone and 200mg of zitac tablets will this help reduce the size of the tumors?... Read full answer
my 7 year old boxer bitch has cancer of the lymphatic system my vet has prescribed 5mg prednisolone and 200mg of zitac tablets will this help reduce the size of the tumors?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/12/2009
Dog Veterinarian: Vet help, Veterinarian replied 9 years ago
Vet help
Vet help, Veterinarian
Do you know the specific diagnosis? Is it lymphoma or lymphosarcoma?

im not sure i only know that it is aggersive stage she has tumors all around her neck area as well as her chest legs and groin

Are the tumors associated with the lymph nodes? Does she have them on either side of her neck, on both sides of the front of her chest, on both sides in her groin, and on both sides of the back of her legs?
yes i think so she has them on both sides of throat, neck,chest,groin and on both of back legs.
This sounds like a type of cancer called lymphoma. The masses are enlarged lymph nodes, as these are the locations of the mandibular, prescapular, inguinal and popliteal lymph nodes.
Of the cancers, lymphoma is one of the ones that responds well to treatment. Having said that, however, the response only puts the pet into remission temporarily. The cancer will return, and other chemotherapy needs to be undertaken to try to keep it at bay again.
These are a few of the chemotherapy protocols available, including information on remission rates and median survival times for each one. Remission rates refers to those animals who become free of detectable disease; remission is usually temporary and the cancer returns but follow-up chemotherapy can put an animal back into remission. The median survival time means that 50% of patients will survive longer than that time, and 50% will survive for a shorter period. It’s a statistical term calculated by arranging the data in increasing order and finding the value in the middle of the sorted data.

With no treatment, the median survival time is about 1 month.

With prednisone therapy alone, about 50% of dogs go into remission but the median survival is about 2 months. Prednisone may cause resistance to other chemotherapy drugs, so it’s best not to use this at the recommended doses if there is a possibility that you’d be interested in following up with other forms of chemotherapy. The dose your dog is on seems low for an adult Boxer.

Prednisone and CCNU- these are both oral medications. I don’t have survival data available but 6 months is usually the norm.

COP protocol- involves the use of chemotherapeutic agents cyclophophamide, vincristine and prednisone
Remission rate is 60- 75% and median survival rate is 6 months.
10- 20% of patients survive for 1 year.

Doxorubicin therapy- given intravenously every 3 weeks
Remission rate is 75- 85%
Median survival time is 6- 9 months.

Protocols containing Doxorubicin and L-asparaginase- there are many. The best success rate has been with 5 drug protocols.
Remission rate is 80- 95%
The 1st remission generally lasts 6- 9 months.
Survival is 1 year, and 25% of dogs can survive for 2 years.

For the more involved protocols, blood work will need to be evaluated periodically (for some it’s weekly, for others every 2- 3 weeks, etc. depending on what drugs are used).
Most dogs do quite well with chemotherapy and do not appear to be as harshly affected as humans receiving chemo. The most common side effects are intestinal upset (vomiting and/ or diarrhea) which usually occurs in the first day or so after the chemo is administered but resolves promptly with supportive care. Dogs rarely lose their fur, but it can occur. The drugs can, however, cause serious problems with the bone marrow or serious, persistent gastrointestinal signs and so patients must be monitored closely and adjustments made if troubles arise.
If you are financially able, I strongly recommend that you consult with a veterinary oncologist. You can ask your veterinarian for a referral. Or if you are in the US, you can visit:
http://www.acvim.org/websites/acvim/index.php?p=228 to find one near you.
I hope the information is helpful as you make your decision in this most difficult of situations.

although gypsy is an adult boxer she is very small and only weights 22kg, she was the runt of a litter of 11, but has an amazing personality. do you now think 5mg of prednisolone is ok for her?

If lymphoma is the type of cancer she has, then even at her weight, 5 mg of pred is still too low for her. Legally, I cannot advise you on specific dosages for a pet that I have not seen. This is a conversation you'll need to have with your veterinarian or a veterinary oncologist. Your vet can consult Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook or the Merck Veterinary Manual for the dosages of recommended lymphoma chemotherapy protocols.
Vet help
Vet help, Veterinarian
ok thank you i really appreciate you have taken the time to reply. i will speak to my vet as soon as possible you have been very helpful
You're welcome. I wish you and your girl the best.
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
My 14lb Spaniel just ate one 200mg ibuprofen. Do I need to
My 14lb King Charles Spaniel just ate one 200mg ibuprofen. Do I need to be worried? … read more
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Doctors Degree
As question, relapse of Lyme, vet prescribed Doxycycline and
As a follow up question, relapse of Lyme, vet prescribed Doxycycline and prednisolone 5mg 2x daily 15 tablets. Advised by DocPaul not to use due to immunosuppressant effect of glucocorticoids. My vet … read more
DocPaul
DocPaul
I have a 9 year old labrador with hip pain. He was taking
Hi, I have a 9 year old labrador with hip pain. He was taking glucosamine and a 1/4 tablet of pain killer (meloxafin??) but his discomfort was getting worse. He is now on glucosamine and prednisolone.… read more
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Stop searching for answers—
Our French Bulldog has just been diagnosed with Severe
Our French Bulldog has just been diagnosed with Severe Lymphatic Inflammatory Bowel Disease, after close to 2 years of runny stools, alternating with soft and or hard stools. Before that he had perfec… read more
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
My dog has been ill. He has lost a lot of weight and we took
My dog has been ill. He has lost a lot of weight and we took him to the vet and he has been diagnosesvwth sarcoma in his pelvis which is affecting his left leg because he can't walk on it. Now latterl… read more
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Doctor of Veterinary Medicine,
Doctorate of Veterinary Medicine
I have a 50lb boxer mix.she has been diagnosed with cancer
i have a 50lb boxer mix.she has been diagnosed with cancer of the nasal canal. my vet prescribed 375mg of clavamox and her breathing has become scary. supposed to start prednisolone 20 mg starting tod… read more
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy
Veterinarian,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
We have a 13 yr old rescued lab-mix (Millie) that weighs around
We have a 13 yr old rescued lab-mix (Millie) that weighs around 38 pounds. She has congenital congested heart failure plus her liver is small for her size. She has been "WELL" taken care of since we r… read more
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Veterinarian,
dog: is 10 years old..intestine..need a rabies vaccination
My dog is 10 years old, and in April 2011 she was operated on to remove a tumor in her large intestine. A biopsy was done on the mass, concluding she has cancer and tumor cells are also see in the lym… read more
Dog Veterinarian,
My 10yo collie has for the last 3 months been violently sick
My 10yo collie has for the last 3 months been violently sick once or twice a day.With vets bills over £500 for various tests and x rays and tablets only to be told theres nothing wrong with him. The d… read more
Veterinarian,
My nine year old alsation bitch has recently started to pant
My nine year old alsation bitch has recently started to pant ecessively no matter what the temperature. It is particularly evident when walking her, although I put that down to age. However she takes … read more
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet
Veterinary Specialist,
Three weeks ago I adopted a 10 month old boxer. Yesterday
Three weeks ago I adopted a 10 month old boxer. Yesterday I noticed a large oblong shaped lump under his throat on the left side. I took him to the vet again (ge had just went two weeks earlier) and s… read more
YourPetVet
YourPetVet
My dog (Cassiopia a 15 year old medium sized mongrel) had an
My dog (Cassiopia a 15 year old medium sized mongrel) had an ear infection which was treated with Prednisclone orally. She was taking 1 x 5mg tablet per day for a month, I was given 60 tablets by the … read more
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet
Veterinary Specialist,
Stop searching for answers—
I have a 10 year old basset hound who may have a sinus tumor.
I have a 10 year old basset hound who may have a sinus tumor. I took her to my vet at the end of December with a bloody discharge from the right nostril and "snorting" . At first it was thought she ha… read more
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet
Veterinary Specialist,
Our 12 year old dog has a tumor in her lung we have tried codine
Our 12 year old dog has a tumor in her lung we have tried codine and are reluctant to give her prednisolone as may incease her already fast breathing and coughing is there something that will relax he… read more
Dog Veterinarian,
beagle: 12 year old..bitch..urine..Otherwise she seems in good health.
Should my dog, a 12 year old beagle (bitch) have been prescribed Vivitonin 100mg 1 tablet twice a day and Prednisolone 1 tablet once a day for blood in her urine, only spotted as there has been heavy … read more
petdrz
petdrz
Small Animal Veterinarian,
My 10 year old Basset bitch has skin cancer and I need to find
My 10 year old Basset bitch has skin cancer and I need to find an affordable vet to remove the lumps. It has been months now and despite wearing the cone so she will not mess with it, it bleeds and re… read more
Dr. Louis Gotthelf
Dr. Louis Gotthelf
Chief Staff Veterinarian,
boxer mix: tumor..antibiotic..neosporin, using an e-collar..licking
my 65lb boxer mix has had a tumor like growth on his foot for over a month. i've consulted a vet and was given rimidly and an antibiotic, and was told it would clear up. after taking much TLC and wrap… read more
Veterinarian,
Do I need a second opinion Took my 8 year old Golden Retriever
Do I need a second opinion? Took my 8 year old Golden Retriever to the vet a month or so ago. Just out of the clear blue sky her lymph nodes in her neck (both) were huge and hard. The first vet gave h… read more
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo
Veterinarian,
BA