Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

dog has slight fever, shacking and tender under armpit chest

Customer Question
area. Can eat, pee...
dog has slight fever, shacking and tender under armpit chest area. Can eat, pee. poop. will not drink water now. Has worsened over last 24 hours. Vet prescribed Tramadol and antibiotics but not improvement. He has less pain when standing up, but when laying down breath is labored and he shackes more. He weighs 18 lbs and is 4 yrs old and up to date on all shots. Do I need to pay the money to get him exrays and blood work to find out why h'es in pain. Also, it hurts him when he is picked up
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/10/2009
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian

This is Dr. Christian. Welcome to JustAnswer. A few questions will help me get a clearer picture of the situation:

• Did you dog have a fever at the vet?
  • What is his current temperature?
  • Are his gums pink?
Yes, he dad temp at vet of 102.. Vet said his gums and eyes looked good yesterday. today his gums appear light pink with brownish spots on them (could just be his coloring). I have not taken his temp today-can't do it. Also, he is a Shitzu poodle mix. He was just playing yesterday morning. No evidence of any injuries. He is an inside pet with one other dog and two cats. All others are fine. Although one cate seems to have an eye infection of some kind- its swollen. Just FYI in case it matters
Thank you for the information. A temperature of 102 is actually normal for a dog so don't worry about fever in that case. Tramadol is a good pain medication and if this were simply pain he should have improved by now rather than getting worse. This could be an abdominal pain or even a back pain. It worries me as well that his breathing is somewhat labored but that could also be due to pain. I definitely think its best to have him rechecked and testing is probably necessary to determine the cause. If you have more questions please let me know.

Should it concern me that he will not drink anything now. This just started today. He will eat wet food but can not chew the crunchy food fro some reason. He starts to chew it and he drops it out of his mouth. Also he cant bend down to eat out of his bowl.

It sounds like he may even have severe pain in his neck area based on that description. It does concern me about the drinking since he may become dehydrated if he doesn't drink enough. Try raising his food and water bowls off the ground so he doesn't have to lean down for them. You can try offering warm chicken broth to tempt him to drink.
If he has what you suggest, is it life threatening? Should I break all my penny banks to ay for the x-rays and blood tests? I want to take care of him... but I only have so much money now- times are tough. But I need to take care of his pain.
If left untreated this could be life threatening due to dehydration. I think it's best to start slow to find the cause. For instance, do the x-rays first if your vet thinks that will give the best information. If you find your cause on the x-rays then bloodwork may not be necessary. If you take things in steps rather than doing all the tests at once, perhaps you can save some money.
How long should he go without water? I just tried to give him some using a syringe we have and he wouldn't open mouth. He will not drink the flavored water using the syrup stuff from his chunky wet dog food. Should I continue with the syringe if I can get the water into him that way?

You can try to continue to give him water that way but he shouldn't go more than 24 hours without water and its unlikely you will be able to force feed him enough to keep him hydrated. If you can't get him to a vet tonight then take him first thing in the morning.

ok. Thank you. Also, do you know of any agencies that can work a payment plan out or that go according to a sliding fee scale for payments? I understand if you are not aware of these though. Thank you for your time in this matter.

You are welcome. The only thing I know specifically is called Care credit. It's a medical credit card that will do no interest financing but your vet has to accept the card. Here's a link:

www.carecredit.com/

Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian