Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

do dogs dig holes and lay in them when they are sick She

Customer Question
do dogs dig holes and...
do dogs dig holes and lay in them when they are sick? She has a fever, her blood work was fine, and now she's on anti-biotics.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/24/2009
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Scott, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Hello there,

How high was the fever?

How long has the dog been on antibiotics?

Is she panting while laying in the hole?

104

She went to the vet yesterday at 4:30 p.m. She has had two sets of pills. 1 1/2 every twelve hours.

Sometimes she is panting. She is drinking lots of water, but not eating anything...

That is a very high fever. She may be digging the hole to lay on the cool dirt. The drinking and panting can both related to the fever. I would not expect her to eat until the temp is back to normal. Onion-free jarred baby food, chicken or beef, or boiled chicken and rice, no bones, can be offered to stimulate the appetite.
She is a stray. She adopted us a few days ago. How many days should we give her to start eating again? She is a very nice dog, and I hope she gets better. I don't know what's she has been eating and drinking before she found us.
If she continues to drink, she will not get dehydrated. Dogs can go several days without eating. I would not wait longer than two more days on the medications. If the fever does not go down, she may need IV fluids to push the fever down. If she is a stray, may sure she has been tested for heartworm and Lyme's disease.
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Thank you very much. I appreciate your help. I can try to relax now for rest of the weekend.
You are very welcome. Good Luck!
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian