CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

My 5yr shar pei has a swollen back leg she had high white

My 5yr shar pei has a swollen back leg she had high white count but no fever. She did have vomiting,She was treated with antiboctis for 3 wks but still has swelling.She shows no sign of pain and vomiting has stoped. My vet is at a lose because she has not had a fever at all.I'm concerned for her health and need to know what to do any help would be greatly welcomed
Penny
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 7 years ago.
Hi Penny,

Regarding the swelling, is it around the ankle area?

Is it 1 back leg or both back legs?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is one leg and is from the hip to the ankle and also has a small tennis baal swelling on the inside of the same leg
Have any x-rays been done?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
not on her leg they did do them for gi problems
Based on what you have indicated above:
- Swelling
- High white blood cell count

I would look for infection/inflammation somewhere.

I have seen cases just like this where the leg has been swollen and VERY similar signs as there is a localized abscess (infection) with associated inflammation and swelling of an entire leg.

If this were my case, I would shave the leg completely looking for a puncture or bruise which could be the source. If nothing found, I would then use an ultrasound machine (if available) to see if there is a pocket of fluid (abscess) or take an x-ray looking for an abnormal lucency.
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My vet has checked for punctures and abscess it doesn't appear to be any .It appears like shar pei fever but without the fever.
That would be less common in only 1 leg and less common to be as diffuse throught the entire leg, as it is more commonly found around the hock (ankle) area, not as you describe above - as it is often describe as "swollen hock syndrome"

This link may help (HERE)

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
so could this be the result of a fall , and if so how is the best way to reduce the swelling
I would recommend getting an x-ray or ultrasound. The swelling will not resolve until we determine and treat the underlying cause.