Dr. K
Dr. K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian
7189224

my dog ate a 3 frosted sugar cookies and 3 choc chip this afterno

my dog ate a 3 frosted sugar cookies and 3 choc chip this afternoon. He is now laying down and shaking - almost like a shiver. Do I need to take him to the er?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. K replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer

How large were these chocolate chip cookies?
Has he had any vomiting or diarrhea?
Did he eat his meals normally today?
What were the sugar cookies frosted with? Was it chocolate?

Dr. K
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The cc cookies were about medium sized, but were loaded with chips

The sugar cookies had no choclate in them

He has bben acting fine without any vomiting or diarrhea

He has not eaten any meal, but that is not uncommon because he only eats at night usally

He is now up and running around, but his body is still trembeling

Expert:  Dr. K replied 7 years ago.
The amount of toxic substance from chocolate that is present in a chocolate chip cookies (or even a few of them) is usually not enough to cause a true chocolate poisoning problem for a dog. Most dogs who suffer from chocolate toxicity, do so from eating baker's chocolate. However, since your dog is so small, these chocolate chip cookies could be bothering him. I still doubt that he could have ingested enough chocolate this way, to be considered truly toxic.

Signs of chocolate toxicity include vomting and diarrhea with in the first 2-4 hours after ingestion, fever, restlessness, hyperactivity, and increased urination. Advanced signs include stiffness, excitement, and seizures.

Even without toxicity, your dog will likely experience some diarrhea. If this should occur, I recommend feeding a bland diet of boiled white rice and boiled skinless white-meat chicken (mixed 3 parts rice to 1 part chicken) until the stool firms up. You can then slowly start to mix back in the dog's normal diet.

If any of the more advanced signs should appear, then you need to contact your veterinarian immediately.

I hope that this information is of help to you. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Dr. K