Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My Dog (Retriver mix) has two torn ACLs. I have to choose

Customer Question
My Dog (Retriver mix) has...
My Dog (Retriver mix) has two torn ACL's. I have to choose between TLPO, or have my dog wear a brace on both knees. I really can't afford the major surgery (about $3500) what is your advice for wearing the braces on the knee's will it help. Knee braces are what is found on orthopets.com
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/15/2009
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Andy, Medical Director replied 8 years ago
Dr. Andy, Medical Director

Well, I can't vouch for braces that much because we generally do not recommend them.

Over a period of time, there will be scarring in the joint and degenerative joint disease. The splint will not help prevent these changes.

If not doing surgery, or if you have to delay the surgery, I would focus more on ensuring your pet is getting a good non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication and a good oral pain medication like Tramadol.

It would be wise to also start a good joint support supplement as well. By far, my favorites that you should research on the internet are Dasuquin or Cosequin.

I have not recommended splinting in 6 years, and I know most of my colleagues do not either.

Good Luck

Dr. Andy, Medical Director

The tears are only partial, is there anyway that these can heal on there own? One of the reasons I am skeptical of doing surgery is because I have heard that some vets try to do some rehab.

Thanks for the reply

Physical therapy can be beneficial, even more so following surgical repair.
If partial (and has been confirmed by a specialist) the medical management is the way to go.
It can be diffcult to assess partial vs. a complete tear.

Can't heal. In fact, eventually, one little jump or twist of the leg, and it will complete tear.

Sorry I can't be more positive.

Good Luck
Dr. Andy, Medical Director