Dr. Jennifer
Dr. Jennifer, Veterinarian
Experience:  Caring for dogs and cats in general practice since 2005
22855323

how often should a dog get a distemper shot after the initial

Customer Question

how often should a dog get a distemper shot after the initial puppy one?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jennifer replied 8 years ago.
The initial puppy vaccination is usually given when the puppy is between 6-8 weeks old. It should then be boostered every 3-4 weeks until the puppy is at about 15-16 weeks old. If it is an older puppy (older than 3-4 months), it needs at least 2 shots given 3-4 weeks apart. Hope this helps!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
what about dogs that are 6 and 13 yrs. old, how often do you recommend them? these are the ages of my dogs.
Have they had any shots since their initial puppy shot? Did they complete their puppy series?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

my 13 yr. old had all her puppy shots and is up to date w/her rabies. her last distemper was 3 yrs. ago. my 6yr. old was a rescue so when I got her 3 yrs. ago she was vaccinated but I don't know her puppy background. i accept all your replies

It is probably not necessary to vaccinate your 13 yr old for distemper any more due to her age. Newer studies show the vaccines provide years of protection, especially for older dogs. I would probably booster your 6 yr old to make sure she is protected and go to a 3-yr schedule for her. Rabies is usually the only legally required vaccine, and how often you need to give that one depends on the regulations where you live. To accept my reply, just click on the Accept button for one of the Answers.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thanks for your help.