Dr. Karen
Dr. Karen, Veterinarian
Experience:  Graduated vet school with honors; Own 6 dogs, big and small.
8954214

My dog walked in a mix of water & mineral spirits that was

My dog walked in a mix of water & mineral spirits that was on the ground, from cleaning up paint. He is panting much more than normal and he licked his feet. I took him as soon as I realized what happened and washed his feet with shampoo and cool water. Is there anything further I should to do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Karen replied 7 years ago.
Hi there- the mineral spirits are very irritating to the foot bads and GI tract (mouth). He may be panting due to pain from the foot pads. Sometimes you can ease the foot pad pain by allowing him to stand in cold water, but the pain may return as soon as he is out of the water. It concernes me that he licked his paws as the mineral spirits can cause chemical burns to his tongue and gums. The best idea is to have him examined by a vet if you can this weekend. He may needs pain meds and if the mouth is injured he may need antibiotics. Youd did a great job washing off his feet rgith away!
Dr Karen
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What would chemical burns look like on the inside of his mouth?
Expert:  Dr. Karen replied 7 years ago.
Look for ulcers or blisters.The gums could also look very red. Also he will drool a lot in the next day or two if he has any chemical burns, and will be reluctant to eat.