Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Chihuahua: who sounds congested and is breathing hard

Have a 6 year old...
Have a 6 year old Chihuahua who sounds congested and is breathing hard. Activity is normal and eating is normal. Sounds like a cold...is there anything we should give him?
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/7/2009
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Hi there,

Thank you for your post!

Is there any discharge from the eyes or nose?

Does your dog have a heart murmur?
No Heart murmur and no discharge that we can see, but his breathing sounds like a stuffy nose
Hi there,

For cases such as this - you can try to administer Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) - the dose will be 1mg for every 1 pound of body weight. For example, a 50 pound dog should receive 50mg of benadryl. You can start and then give a dose every 8 to 12 hours thereafter. Please be certain it is the product consisting of only Diphenhydramine and DOES NOT CONTAIN ANY OTHER INGREDIENTS SUCH AS A DECONGESTANT.

_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist