VetInternist
VetInternist, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Staff Internist and Medical Director
21344439

Can I give my dog Augmentin instead of Clavamox Ive been

Can I give my dog Augmentin instead of Clavamox? I've been told chemically that they are the same.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  VetInternist replied 8 years ago.
Augmentin and Clavamox are nearly the same drug. One is marketed for people and the other is marketed for veterinary use. The only difference is the ratio of amoxicillin and clavulanate, the two ingredients in the drug. Amoxicillin is the actual antibiotic and the clavulanate is an inhibitor that prevents certain bacteria from inactivating the amoxicillin.

For most dogs, augmentin isn't appropriate because it doesn't come in small pills. I think the smallest size is 375 mg, and these pills aren't designed to be split. I have used augmentin in a very large dog before and it worked. There is a small chance that a bacteria may be more susceptible to one drug vs. the other, but it is unlikely.

Dr. Shadwick
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My dog is a 95 lbs Chesapeake Bay Retriever, so it should be okay?
I will say that if a doctor initially prescribed Clavamox, his changing the prescription to Augmentin for a 95 lb Chessie probably won't cause any problem. I can't prescribe/recommend the use of prescription drugs without an established Doctor/patient relationship, however.

Dr. Shadwick