Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog ate a tea bag... I need to know what to do. She is a

Customer Question
maltese about 7.5 ponds...
My dog ate a tea bag... I need to know what to do. She is a maltese about 7.5 ponds
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/26/2009
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Scott, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Hello there,

How long ago was it ingested?
about 9 hours ago... when i noticed the cup void of tea bag
Has there been any vomiting or straining to defecate?

no, she is acting normal, playing and what not, she ate her regular dinner meal as well about an hour ago

The tea itself is not toxic. The caffeine would have caused serious problems by now if it was going to. The bag itself is the bigger concern. It could cause obstruction. If nine hours have passed and the dog kept dinner down, it should pass. You should see it pass within 24 hours of ingestion. If there was string on the bag, that can cause problems as well. If vomiting or diarrhea occur, the dog's abdomen should be radiographed. If nothing occurs within 24 hours, you may not see any problems. The dinner should push the bag through.
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian