Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

our 8 1/2 year old Maltese has lost most of her eyesight in

Customer Question
the last month. approx one month...
our 8 1/2 year old Maltese has lost most of her eyesight in the last month.
approx one month ago she had some bloating, then seemed fine, about a week later she had what appeared to be vision problems but would come and go a bit for a couple of days then she had quite a bout of diahreaa which lasted 3+ days we went to the vetrenarian and she perscribed an antibiotic. The vetrinarian then checked out her eyes said she had conjunctivitas and perscribed neopoldex.Her diahreaa went away and about 4-5 days later her vision improved for aprox 3-4 days.Eyesight was then obvious problem so we took her to Eye vetrinarian she said they look good and acknowledged vision impairment and perscribed cyclosporine and Prednisolone Acetate opthalmic suspension. any ideas on how to restore eyesight?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/26/2009
Dog Veterinarian: Andrea Roberts, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Andrea Roberts
Andrea Roberts, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there

From the treatment that the eye vet has her on, i can presume that she has a condition called 'keratoconjunctivitis sicca' - a mouthful i know, but it describes a condition where the eye cannot produce enough tears and becomes a 'dry eye'- the eye then responds to this by producing a protective layer of pigmented tissue across the cornea (front layer of eye cells), this is then what impairs the vision- as the dogs cannot see properly through the pigmented layer of cells.

The treatment the eye vet has her on should hopefully rectify this- as the cyclosporin will stimulate tear production, and the prednisolone will clear the pigment layer. In addition you may want to use some artificial tears such as 'lacrilube' which you can buy without prescription to help moisturize the surface of the eye.

Hopefully with time, her vision will improve as the pigment clears.

regards Andrea

Andrea Roberts
Andrea Roberts, Dog Veterinarian
Andrea Roberts
Andrea Roberts
Andrea Roberts, Dog Veterinarian