FamilyPetDoctor
FamilyPetDoctor, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years of experience in small animal medicine and surgery, including emergency medicine
18910421

My dog is losing all his hair on his stomach and all under

My dog is losing all his hair on his stomach and all under his under arms. He keeps this up he is going to need a sweater for this winter.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  FamilyPetDoctor replied 8 years ago.
Is he itchy and scratching these places?

Has this ever happened before?

How old is your dog?

What does the skin look like where the hair loss is?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes,extermely. Yes but nothing is helping it helps for awhile then it starts up again.Dog is 10 years old.

I need to know what things you've tried? What has helped "for awhile"? Benedryl??

Is it every summer or every fall??   

How old was your dog when it began?

Has your dog been around any other dogs lately: the pound, grooming, dog park???
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes Benedryl did help but after swhile he spits everything out! spring, summer and fall. about 4 or 5 years old. He is now around my daughters dogs but it has happened way before they came into the picture.

It sounds like your dog has atopy-- which is an allergy to something in the environment during certain times of the year.. pollen, grasses, etc.

This can be very difficult to control and can cause your dog much stress due to the severe itchiness.

Antihistamines alone are effective in some cases.... but sometimes as it progressively gets worse year by year you need to start treating with a steroid or a combination of steroids and antihistamines.

You can also consider allergy shots if you decide to work with a dermatologist on this. This can be the most effective in some cases and don't require medications other than the shots when all goes well.

You can give Benedryl up to 25 mg per 25 pounds -- that is the mot you can give. If that isn't working , I would recommend a visit to your vet to ask about steroids or a dermatologist.

I know that this is really frustrating... another good thing to do it to bathe about 1once a a week with a oatmeal based shampoo... this will help as well, but wont' fix the problem.

I hope that this info helps... if you have other questions, let me know.

Dr C
Here is a very helpful link as well.... describes this in more detail...

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2111&aid=503

DR C