Dr. Lee
Dr. Lee, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of experience in veterinary medicine and surgery
20804272

My dogs butt is red and swollen. He keeps licking it making

My dog's butt is red and swollen. He keeps licking it making it worse. It has become more swollen throughout the day, and is hard to the touch.
Hi. I'm Dr. Lee and will do my best to help.

What you are seeing is likely anal gland problem, either they are full and require expression, or that there is an abscess/infection inside and require antibiotics. You will need to bring him to your veterinarian to have the anal glands expressed and if it is infected, he will need antibiotics as well.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I just read here . . . http://dogs.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Dog_Anal_Glands . . . that I could express the glands myself. Sounds kind of like popping a big zit. Your thoughts?
Hi. That's not quite correct. What they describe is external expression, which most of the time cannot fully expresse the glands. What veterinarians and veterinary technicians do is internal expression, which requires rectally palpating the gland then express it. You are welcomed to use external expression, understanding that you might not fully express it and will need to continue that and/or go to your veterinarian for it later.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks.