Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Is it safe to draw blood from a dogs neck If so, should

Customer Question
Is it safe to draw...
Is it safe to draw blood from a dog's neck? If so, should they be under anethesthia before this procedure is done?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/17/2009
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Louis Gotthelf, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Louis Gotthelf
Dr. Louis Gotthelf, Veterinarian
The jugular vein is the largest accessible vein. It is used all the time for drawing blood but never for injections. The dog's skin of neck has very few nerve endings so it is almost painless. No, anesthesia is not needed. And when drawing blood from the neck, the dog has all 4 feet on the ground which is much more comfortable for them.
Dr. Louis Gotthelf
Dr. Louis Gotthelf, Veterinarian
I suppose it is who you ask. There have been reports that animals have died from this procedure with internal bleeding and it has also been expressed that they should be under anethesia if the procedure is done. Thank you.
I have never heard or read that in the veterinary literature. What is your source for this information? I'll bet I have done 10,000 jugular sticks over 31 years of practice and I have never had any problems!!!