Dr. Lee
Dr. Lee, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of experience in veterinary medicine and surgery
20804272

My dog is limping on her left hind leg after getting up from

My dog is limping on her left hind leg after getting up from lying down for a while. She is fine running, walking, etc. What could be the problem?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 8 years ago.
Hi. I'm Dr. Lee and will do my best to help.

Can you tell me what breed she is, age, and how long this has been going on?

Thanks.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

She is a rescue dog. They think she is 10 months old and is a tan/white boxer mix. This has been going on since I picked her up this past Sunday.

After getting up from lying down she'll hop around on 3 legs, not putting any weight on her left hind left. After a few minutes, she'll be fine and walking on all four.
Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 8 years ago.
Hi. Thanks for the info.

The common causes are patella luxation, early arthritis/hip dysplasia, and osteochondritis dissecan. I would suggest to take her to your veterinarian tomorrow or next week for an exam, as well as possible x-ray. Depending on what the true underlying problem is, surgery might be needed. Or we might need pain medications.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Ok, thank you. During their evaluation, should the rescue organization have known this before we adopted her?
Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 8 years ago.
Well, that's hard to say, if it is patella luxation, then yes; if hip dysplasia, maybe, depending on the severity; if OCD, then no as it needs x-rays to determine. But if the lameness was seen prior to adoption, then the rescue should have notified a veterinarian to have it examined.