Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

MY MALTESE HAS A EYE INFECTIONS OF SOME KIND. SHE HAS A DISCHARGE

Customer Question

MY MALTESE HAS A EYE INFECTIONS OF SOME KIND. SHE HAS A DISCHARGE THAT IS STRINGIE AND CREAMY LOOKING. I HAVE TO REMOVE OR WIPE IT FROM HER EYES ABOUT THREE OR FOUR TIMES A DAY.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for the questionCustomer

While I cannot diagnose this over the internet I would say from your description that the most likely thing your Maltese would be suffering from is conjunctivitis which is an eye infection sometimes called red eye or pink eye.

Conjunctivitis in the dog is easy to spot, the whites of your dog's eyes will be red to some degree, the mucous membranes will be swollen and there may be a discharge which may be clear or green or yellow in colour. There are really two forms to consider.

1. Primary conjunctivitis : This is where the infection is in the eyes only, it is usually bacterial in origin although viruses and other organisms can be involved. It will usually respond quickly to antibiotic eye drops put in the eye two or three times a day for five days or so.

2. Secondary conjunctivitis : This is where the eye problem is secondary to another disease process such as distemper. In these case your dog will be showing other symptoms as well which would be likely to be of more concern than the eye discharge.

Here is a link to a site which has more information on conjunctivitis : LINK

My advice to you has to be take your dogs to the vet and have them checked out, you cannot be too careful with eye conditions as they can sometimes go badly wrong. Washing out your dog's eyes { very gently } with luke warm water would do no harm, however if the diagnosis turns out to be conjunctivitis I can tell you how I would handle such a case. I would prescribe antibiotic eye drops such as chloramphenicol eye drops three or four times a day for five days. I favour chloramphenicol eye drops personally but there are a range of eye drops containing antibiotics which would all be fine.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS