Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Is it safe to use Anbesol in my dogs mouth for tooth pain

Is it safe to use Anbesol in my dog's mouth for tooth pain? He is yipping and pawing at his mouth.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the questionCustomer

Do not use this product on your dog as Anbesol contains benzocaine which can be toxic to dogs. Having said that the toxicity would be related to the dose but as this product is not intended for dogs the safest thing to do is not to use it.

However if your dog is in pain and the level is such that you consider something should be done until you can get to your vet consider aspirin. On a short term home remedy basis aspirin would be much safer and more effective than the other over the counter human pain killers and it is sometimes prescribed for dogs. A typical dose rate would be is 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight twice daily. The judgment whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to a web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications : LINK

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS