Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

my dog has white mucus in one eye, what is it

Customer Question
?...
my dog has white mucus in one eye, what is it ?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/6/2009
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

DearCustomer

Did this just start today?

Can you gently look at the color under the lower eye lids of both eyes? Does the color look the same in both eyes?

Is the eye with the white drainage sensitive to light or squinting?

no it started about a week ago, thought it might of been the hair around his eye, but we trimmed it up.the color looks the same. no it is not sesitive to light. Just has a white milky discharge coming from it.
Is it a really thick sticky kind of drainage?
yes

It sounds like she may have a lack of tear production in that eye. The eye responds by becomming irritated and producing thick sticky mucous. To diagnose it, he would need to go to the vet and have a tear test performed. It is a simple proceedure. If he does have lack of tear production then there is a medication called cyclosporine which is very effective at treating it.

Until you can get him to the vet for a test, I would buy some over the counter "artificial tears" and an eye drop called "celluvisc" to help keep the eye moist. The celluvisc lasts longer. You can get both at any pharmacy over the counter. Put it in his eye every 3-4 hours.

He could also have a viral infection in that eye.

But his breed is predisposed to dry eye with his large eyeballs and small eyelids.

www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1326 more on dry eye with pictures

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian