Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

my dog has had a slimy infection and discharge from her vaginal

Customer Question
/ urniary area for about...
my dog has had a slimy infection and discharge from her vaginal / urniary area for about 5 months now .She is 15 and our vet has largely ignored my request for her to be thoroughly examined . Three days ago I took her in to the surgery and insisted she be examined .
She had a lot of infection in her gums (they were red and raw ) and a lot of white/ green discharge from her vagina .   ( She was spayed at 6 months ). The vet gave her a shot of antibiotic wehich she said was good for 10 days . The discharge has worsened in the three days since the shot and now when she's lying down there's a pool of slime where her rear end is positioned .

I don't know how long I should leave it to see if she gets better or whether I should now put things in place to have her put down .I don't want her to be her in pain but she's a much loved family member and I don't want to push her into her grave before she's ready . Is the situation beyond resolution ? Is there more we can do ?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/4/2009
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Thanks for the questionCustomer

In direct answer to your question : Even at fifteen years of age it may be possible to help this condition but before you can do anything you need to come to some form of diagnosis.

1. This could possibly be a uterine stump pyometra, this is where a portion of the womb left after spaying gets infected and hence the discharge.

2. It could be a severe urinary tract infection but of course other diagnosis are also possible.

If I was dealing with such a case I would run an x-ray or an ultrasound to try and visualise the problem and come to a diagnosis. If the client was understandably unwilling to put their dog through these procedures { which would be safe enough } I would try the dog on a three week oral course of a broad acting antibiotic and see what happens.

I am sorry I cannot suggest any home remedy here as there is such a range of diagnosis, accordingly my advice is that you should have your vet carry out some diagnostic tests.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS

I don;t believe my vet has an ultra sound . But I will find out. Do I take it that you're suggesting a course of oral antibiotics as well as the shot she just had . I can do that but she's resisting pills at the moment so we thought the shot would be easier on her - a one shot deal so to speak .

I feel that our vet has kind of given up on her. She hasn't done any diagnostic tests ,not even a urin sample . We see her every week for accupuncture which has helped with the arthritis pain , but unless I insist she never does an examination .

Our dog is a very active old girl still - she walks the perimiter of our very large yard many times every day (even with her arthritis ) . She had a doggy stroke in April but recovered very well with the help of a steroid .The steroid made her pee like a racehorse .

The slimy discharge started after we had finished the course of prednesone and the vet prescribed an antibiotic . It stoped the discharge for a while but it came back about six weeks ago but got worse about a week ago . She had the shot of antibiotic onTuesday and it's now Thursday evening and the discharge is worse.What tests should we ask for and is that not too much antibiotic for an old dog to take.lI'd like to resolve the problem as soon as I can for her sake.

Hello again,

1. Some chronic infections can be hard to treat so I would sometimes give antibiotics for a prolonged course of treatment, up to three week or longer in special cases. It does not matter how the antibiotics are administered, either orally or by injection. Antibiotics generally have a wide margin of safety and prolonged courses generally do not cause side effects. The best way to deliver constant high antibiotic levels over a prolonged period may well be via an oral course

2. As I said here they key is to find out where the discharge is coming from and that means you are going to have to use diagnostic imaging of some kind such as x-ray or ultrasound. Until you know what is going on you are just stabbing in the dark as it were, of course whether you would want to put an elderly dog through this is a matter of discussion between you and your vet. If your vet does not have ultrasound you may consider asking for a referral as ultrasound is carried out on the conscious animal and will not stress her too much.

Regards,

Scott
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian