Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has red and inflamed skin around the anus and the urinary

Customer Question
area. She licks and...
My dog has red and inflamed skin around the anus and the urinary area. She licks and bites the area frequently. I've checked for fleas and ticks--there are none. She is on Advantage. What could be the problem?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/31/2009
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Scott, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Hello there,

What breed is the dog?

How old?

Does she seem in pain?

Is the tail down?

She is an Australian Cattle dog mix and is 8 years old. She doesn't seem to be in pain and is eliminating normally. Her tail is not down.
You may have a skin allergy, a staph infection or an anal gland impaction. You can try Benadryl(diphenhydramine) at .5-1 mg per pound body weight every 12 hours. If the redness persists after 24 hours it is not an allergy. You can also try topical antibiotic ointment if you can keep her from licking it off. If not, you need oral antibiotics. The anal glands need to be checked by your vet or a dog groomer that knows how to express them.
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Thank you. I will try the Benadryl and then take her to my vet if there is no improvement in 24 hours.
That is a good plan. Good Luck!
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian