Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

why would my dogs urine smell sweet

Customer Question
why would my dogs urine smell sweet
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/23/2009
Dog Veterinarian: CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist replied 8 years ago
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Hi there,

Thank you for your post!

How old is your dog?

Breed?

Drinking more than you would expect?

Eating more?

Weight loss?

17 and a half

chihuahua

yes-& urinates right away

eating slightly less

no weightloss so far

Hi there,

The most common reason and diagnosis for sweet urine is actually Diabetes. Diabetes is what we normally say, but the full name isXXXXX

When this was discovered in the 1600s - it was the taste of the urine - sweet urine - which is how the diagnosis was made...

The reason it is sweet is that the glucose that is high in the blood spills into the urine from the kidneys - making it sweet.

I would recommend a simple blood test from your veterinarian as well as a urine sample to check for increase sugar (glucose) in the urine to help rule-in or rule-out this as the cause.
___________________________________
__________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist