Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

What do you do if your dogs nails have gotten way too long

Customer Question
? I have been working...
What do you do if your dogs nails have gotten way too long ? I have been working on them a little at a time to keep from hitting the vain but they are growing way too fast.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/22/2009
Dog Veterinarian: CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist replied 8 years ago
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Hi there,

Thank you for your post!

I have seen this addressed in 2 different ways..

1) Under sedation or anesthesia, they can be clipped back quite far - they will bleed a little and hurt a little - but this is why they are sedated or under anesthesia - so they do not feel the pain and the bleeding can be cauterized immediately without any struggling while awake.

2) The other option is a product such as PEDIPAWS, which will grind the nails and allow you to slowly bring the nail back to a more normal size.
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist