Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is wheezing and shaking. What's wrong?

My dog suddenly started wheezing...
My dog suddenly started wheezing and is also shaking...what's wrong?
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/21/2009
FamilyPetDoctor
FamilyPetDoctor, Veterinarian

Is she coughing?

Does she have a heart condition?

IS she acting sick, or has she been acting sick rior to this?

Does she seem painful?

She is not coughing

To my knowledge she does not have a heart condition

She just seems sad

She is not whining but is shaking a bit

She was fine earlier tonight

Did you get my answers?
     It's possible that she is painful or scared..... both can cause shacking and even the "sadness" you say that she is displaying.   I'm a little confused by the wheezing. Wheezing is usually caused by upper airway obstruction or impedence. This could be caused by SOMETHING stuck in the back of the throat, or inflammation in the back of the throat, caused by something like a virus, etc.          A strange but possible scenario would be if she ate a spider or bug which bit/stung her in the back of the throat. This could cause a sudden onset of these symptoms. This may be far fetched, but it's things like that that could explain all the symptoms.      IF you think that this is highly unlikely, then you may need to have her actually seen by someone who can listen to her heart and lungs to make sure that it isnt' something more serious.   If you want to try giving her some aspirin tonight and seeing how she is in the morning, the amount you would give is about 1/4 to 1/2 of a 325 mg tablet. This can be redosed every 12 hours for a few times.     I hope that this gives you some ideas of what may be going on... I'm happy to answer further questions, if needed. DR C            
The wheezing has stopped and she hasn't shaken for 15 minutes so should we just go to sleep?

I think that she should be fine....if she's no longer displaying those symptoms, I personally wouldn't worry. Now, I say that without seeing her, just from your description. I don't know too many life threatening situations like the one you've described. So, I think that you should be able to sleep in peace.

I hope that this has helped you!

Dr C
Just after I wrote this she yelped twice (which she never does)...what now?
She now is also hiding behind a chair.

I think that something must have spooked her....

My own dog would do something very strange occasionally-- I'd had him all my life, but he would act like he was scared of me.... I never figured out what it was... but he would shake and hide.

I would try to help your dog feel secure.... but I don't think that this is likely to be life threatening.

Dr C

She is still cowering behind a chair...she had a tape worm that we had treated about a month ago would that be related at all. Also when she yelped she was laying down with my husband in bed and he was petting her.

Oh, you said you didnt' think that she was in pain.. but the yelp would indicate otherwise....

That changes things. I would wonder if she has some back pain. This can happen occasionally and cause them to be afraid to move.... and hence they sometimes act scared!

I would definitely give some aspirin, and then if she's still acting like this in the next 24 hours, I would take her to your vet.... your vet can evaluate her further and may want to take some X rays.... I still don't know why she was wheezing though... But you said that that stopped.

Does this help?

Dr C
FamilyPetDoctor
FamilyPetDoctor, Veterinarian
FamilyPetDoctor
FamilyPetDoctor
FamilyPetDoctor, Veterinarian