MVP VET
MVP VET, Veterinarian
Experience:  5 years in general practice, own my own practice, CCRP, pennHIP, AVDS, AVMA, & MVMA member, CGC, TDI
21109568

MY SMALL DOG IS INTERMITTENLY SHAKING, PANTING, RAPID HEART

MY SMALL DOG IS INTERMITTENLY SHAKING, PANTING, RAPID HEART RATE AND TRYING TO GET COMFORTABLE CAN'T SIT OR LIE STILL THIS LASTS FOR ABOUT 30-45MIN IS HAPPENING 2-3X A DAY. SHE IS EATING OK AND GOING TO THE BATHROOM OK. SHE IS ALERT WHEN THIS IS HAPPENING. AFTERWORDS SHE SEEMS NORMAL AGAIN
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  MVP VET replied 8 years ago.

More information with help us help you.

How long has this been happening for? Is it getting worse or better? Has it ever happened before this episode? Is there anything different in her environment? Has she had any trauma? Is there any particular time of day this happens or any activity that she has been involved in before it happens? How old is she? Is she spayed? What breed us she?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
THIS HAS BEEN HAPPENING FOR ABOUT A WEEK. NOT GETTING BETTER. THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE. NOTHING DIFFERENT IN HER ENVIRONEMENT. HAS HAD NO TRAUMA. SINCE I WORK ALL DAY I DON'T KNOW IF IT HAPPENS DURING DAY, HOWEVER IT SEEMS IT HAS BEEN HAPPENING AROUND 430-5PM AFTER I GET HOME. HER ONLY ACTIVITY IS GOING OUT TO URINATE WHEN I FIRST GET HOME. SHE IS 6YEARS OLD AND SPAYED. SHE IS A CHIHUAHUA MIX.
Expert:  MVP VET replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for the additional information. Although I don't believe it is an emergency, I do think you should have her in for an veterinary exam including an orthopedic exam. I wonder about the health and comfort of her spine and her knee caps in particular. It is interesting about it happening when you get home. Perhaps she gets extra excited when she sees you and tweaks her back or knees when she's jumping up and then has a hard time feeling better again. Her signs are consistent with pain and/or stress/fear. A vet will be able to help you rule out pain and if that is not the case, perhaps guide you in managing the behavior.

Good luck!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I DO NOT BELIEVE IT HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH HER BACK OR KNEES. SHE IS NOT A JUMPER WHEN I GET HOME. I AM NOT SURE IF SHE IS HAVING SOME KIND OF SIEZURE ACTIVIT
Expert:  MVP VET replied 8 years ago.
You mention that she is mentally alert and responsive when this is happening. For this reason, I do not believe that this is seizure related (petit mal or grand mal). Perhaps some other cause of stress or anxiety?