CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

diarrhea with urination in kennel(has not urinated in house

diarrhea with urination in kennel(has not urinated in house before) Took him on a walk and he vomited a bright yellow mucus color. He is a huskey border collie, and it has been hot and humid for him.
Hi there,

How old is your dog?

How many times has he vomited?

Is he eating?

Is he lethargic?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

We believe he is @5 years old. He is a rescue which we have had him for 3 years. He has vomited once so far. We have withheld food from him today. He is not lethargic, he was active on his walk. He did stumble once, though.

How much does your dog weigh?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
He weighs 55 pounds.
From your history - it certainly sounds like there may be a gastroenteritis or even more likely a colitis. This can be from many different causes including eating something abnormal and even certain types of infections including intestinal parasites, giardia, and coccidia.

Moreover, in a case such as this - if your dog is outside, in case heat is a contributing factor - I would recommend bringing him inside to a cool environment, and also to monitor him a little closer so we can make sure these signs resolve.

Here is a great link that talks about colitis.
http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=677

Here is a great link that talks about gastroenteritis.
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/gastroenteritis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

If you would like to try conservative management at home, and there is no more vomiting, you can try to offer a bland diet. A common bland diet is boiled chicken and rice (2/3 rice and 1/3 chicken). I would try this for about 1 week, hoping that he improves over this time. I would also recommend adding a supplement such as 2 tablespoons of bran, canned pumpkin, or metamucil as a fiber source to increase the stool consistency.

You can also consider giving 10mg of Pepcid A/C (famotidine) by mouth every 24 hours for 5 days for stomach upset. You can purchase this over the counter.

Hopefully with a little food change / bland diet, everything will be better in a few days, but it may be a good idea for veterinary evaluation and evaluation of the feces if the signs continue or other signs develop such as loss of appetite, continued vomiting, blood in the stool, or lethargy.

I hope this information helps!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.