Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

What can you do to treat chest congestion at home in your

What can you do to treat chest congestion at home in your dog?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 8 years ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. It depends on the cause of the chest congestion. You can put him in a room with a humidifier for a while then go in a gently pat on both sides of his chest to help break up the congestion and help him cough it up. The problem is that you are not treating the source of the congestion (i.e.; allergies, infection), so the congestion may not completely get better. I would use any cough suppressants because you want them to cough it up. I would usually use an expectorant like Guaifenesin and/or Dextromethorphan. Nothing can be used that has acetominophin or ibuprofen. The best thing is to have your vet take a took at him and see exactly what he needs. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.